poetry and other works

Merlie M. Alunan worked for her Masters Degree in English at Silliman University in Dumaguete City, majoring in Creative Writing and studying under Edilberto K. Tiempo. She was a writing fellow of the Silliman University National Summer Writers Workshop and the UP Creative Writing Center. Most of the poems collected in this blogsite are from her first book collection, Hearthstone, Sacred Tree. The other works have also been published in local newspapers and other publications.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Yana

The night bird swept
over the rooftop shrieking.
I rushed out. I saw it
turning its wing feathers.
It gleamed in the moonlight.
"What news?What news?"
I called out as I lost it
among the trees.

Today your father called,
"We got her! A girl!"
"I know", I told him.
"I got news."

Across the miles of skies and sea
between his island and mine,
I heard him chuckling.
He might be thinking, Intuition,
all mothers's boast. I wanted to say,
Night bird told me, but only said,
" O yes, I got news."

Months before i see you,
Months before i hold you close,
to smell your newness.
Over the days you will sleep,
cry, feed, grow, learn the shapes
]of your first words about this
tired old world--child, it will be
to our ears new again with your lisping.

When I look at last into your eyes
maybe you'll smile, who knows?
Night birds don't say much i guess,
but they don't lie, do they?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home